Monday, June 30, 2014

Mother's Day Gift

This year for Mother's Day I had dropped some not so subtle hints that I wanted a jewelry armoire to hold my ever growing jewelry obsession collection. This is the one I had chosen from Amazon and showed to Shelby:
 He decided that a pre-fab impostor wood cabinet was no good and would not withstand the moving around that we do. So instead he went to a local carpenter here on the island, Bruno Narciso. Bruno and his dad run a carpenter shop where they build and refurbish anything and everything. Bruno is so talented he has won awards from Lisbon and also visits a trade school on another island to teach carpentry to students there. They do amazing work. Shelby had them do a solid wood mahogany cabinet for me based on the picture. It is so sturdy and mahogany is a hard wood which will definitely last through our moves. Many people that come here have custom wine racks made from wine barrels, that tends to be the island souvenir of choice. We decided to do this instead and I'm so glad! I love it!  Here is my cabinet. The grain of the wood is so beautiful and that is the natural color of the wood, the carpenter only put a varnish on it, no stain. 

He spent an entire day trimming the inside of all the drawers with the velvet.


While there he branded his logo on to the back of the piece. Awesome! 


The shop where they built it.


No comments:

Post a Comment