Saturday, July 24, 2010

Dahlias & Lillies

Close to our house is a family farm that has a large pumpkin festival each fall. You might remember our visit last year. Well they also have sweet corn on the cob that they grow and we've been checking regularly to see when they would have some ready to sell. Friday they finally had corn, fresh picked that day...yum!
I know you are probably wondering where the dahlias and lillies play in all this. The place also has a "blumen feld" or flower field where you cut your own. They have several different kinds of lillies, gladiolus, and dahlias to choose from. The dahlias are amazing, some are the size of Colin's head and the most gorgeous colors I've ever seen! You just cut what you like and there is a price list next to a change container and you put your money in the container and away you go. If the shop with the corn and jellies is open you can pay in there too, but if you want to come by when they are not open you just help yourself. There are many flower fields like this around that don't have anyone working them, you just go cut what you like and it's all on the honor system.
Anyway here are a couple of the flowers I chose. Shelby lent his camera to a friend and so he took mine with him to Kyrgyzstan, which forced me to get out my real Canon and actually work for my shots instead of cheating with my Panasonic point and shoot. I actually had time to play with my lighting and do some editing while Colin was napping too. I forgot how fun it is to take pictures, or maybe I just forgot what it's like to have TIME to take pictures!
Dahlias & Lillies

No comments:

Post a Comment