Thursday, August 19, 2010

You just said shoes, mom!

Tuesday Colin and I went shopping for new rain boots since he had grown out of his other pair. He must be in a popular size because we had to go to a few stores before we finally found a store with his size in stock. One store had a pair he wanted, really, really bad. They were Cars boots with Lightning McQueen on them and they were not even close to his size. He insisted. I explained they did not fit. He explained in so few words that he didn't care. I excercised my mommy authority, afterall I have the money. He exercised his lungs. And legs. And arms. And his right to throw a tantrum in public. He literally had people in the store following the shrieks to see what was the matter. He put on quite a show, to which I nonchalantly scooped him up and explained to him that because of his behavior we now had to leave the store immediately. He kicked and screamed the entire way to the car and people stared and glared the entire way, so humiliating. I did get one sympathetic smile from a middle aged lady, I guess she wasn't too old to have forgotten the terrible twos with her own children.

Reluctantly I let the beast darling out of his carseat at the next store. I seriously considered how long it would take to run in, check for his size, make it through the checkout and back to the car and if this was an acceptable amount of time to leave him sitting in the car without me. I decided against it and took him in with me. Thank God there were no Cars boots in the store and they had several pair in his size. He chose a red pair with pirate bears on them. They are pretty cute.

Now it's been raining here for at least the last 7 days straight. Of course the day I buy new rain boots is the last day that it rains. Wednesday the sun was out and shining and there were no more puddles to stomp in. We were getting ready to go on a walk and I tell Colin to go get his shoes on and point to his Cars Crocs on the table. He leaves the room and comes back a few minutes later looking like this

I tell him not those shoes and before I can even finish my sentence he is screaming in protest. He was still very proud of his new shoes and he didn't care if it was raining or not. I tried to show him his cool Lightning Crocs and he walked over next to the closet and "hid" from me

And so off to the market we went in the sunshine with rain boots on and jeans tucked into them. He wouldn't let me fix his pants either, he wanted everyone to see AAAALLLLL the boots, not just the toes! On the way from the market to the playground we caught up with two kids walking down the sidewalk. Colin was all excited, as he always is around other kids. He made sure to point to his new boots and say "shoe" showing them off to the kids, lol. I mean wouldn't you want to show off these boots too??

No comments:

Post a Comment