Saturday, October 27, 2012

Finally all caught up!

I have been sooooo behind the last two weeks. Not just behind on blogging, behind in life in general. It's been the "just keep your head above water" kind of weeks around here. My current class, Early Literacy Development, has been more demanding than usual recently, so I've had school work to do. Then I just totally over committed myself in other areas. There were a bunch of fun kid oriented things to do on base I didn't want Colin to miss out on. I volunteered to help out with a few things. There were birthday parties and other social events. Shelby went TDY to Germany again for a few days for more treatment on his back. I signed up for a table at the base flea market and had to get stuff organized for that. I had to shop for a dress for a formal event coming up before all the good dresses were gone. I had Halloween costumes to finish making. Appointments. Sports. Awana....you get the idea.

To make matters worse we've been working with one car. Shelby's Jeep decided to break down in the middle of a traffic circle one afternoon. How's this for irony? Thursday we wire money to the bank to pay off the Jeep loan and FOUR days later on Monday the stupid Jeep dies. Talk about luck! Word is the transmission is shot. Jury is still out on that one, we had it towed to a mechanic we don't normally use because the guy we go to is closed on Mondays. We plan to have it towed from its current location to our usual guy and let him check it over, but I'm thinking he isn't going to have any better news. Looks like we'll be buying another island bomb to use for a couple months while we figure out the repairs on the Jeep and get the work done. Fantastic!

Then there was the head cold/flu thing that decided to sneak up on me this week. I don't know what it was but it was miserable. Thankfully it was short lived and out of my life in about 4 days. I was fairly sure my head was going to explode at any moment, it hurt to open my eyes and my mouth. Lucky for me I had a lot of school work to knock out this week so I was able to just lay in bed with my computer and try to stay alive. So far the boys don't have it, fingers crossed they missed it!

Another reason we had so many appointments crammed into the last two weeks is because things are starting to come together with our plans to adopt. Shelby and I have always talked about adopting in addition to having biological children, even before we got married and learned of my fertility problems. Colin would love a brother or sister (he asks for one all the time!) and we want that for him and for ourselves. We are in a place where the time and situation is right and so we are ready to pursue adding to our family. This is probably news to many as we've kept it pretty quiet until now. I've gone back and forth about blogging and going public with the adoption plans many times. I know several friends who have adopted and during certain parts of the adoption they have had to make their blogs private to protect themselves and the progress of their adoptions. Like infertility and IVF, adoption is very uncertain. It's a stressful process with no guarantees. I worry that something will fall through, we won't be approved, there won't be a child who fits our family, and many other things. We had to share our plans with some family and friends since we need recommendation letters to complete our application package. We have obtained numerous legal documents, all the letters and filled out pages of paperwork that should be ready to submit next week. Once the paperwork has been submitted and accepted by the adoption team as a complete package, they have up to six months from that day to complete the home study.

So there you have it, all the latest random tales of my uneventful life. And the pile of blog posts below that I finally got around to posting. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment