Thursday, January 9, 2014

The waiting game...

The days here in Germany have been ticking by and actually the three weeks without the boys have gone by fairly quickly. I think their three weeks have gone by at home a little faster with all the fun and activities they've been doing. Shelby has been doing a fantastic job handling everything while I've been gone and it's a huge relief to know everything has gone smoothly without me there. They fly to Germany tomorrow and I am so ready to have them both around again and have some laughter and noise back in the house.

I'm now 38.5 weeks and very ready to have this baby. I don't feel as big and uncomfortable as I did when I was pregnant with Colin, but I am still ready to have my body back. I'm still getting around well and I'm not in pain much until the evening. The biggest pain I've experienced this pregnancy is the heartburn in the last half. I currently take three different medications for acid reflux but none of them are able to control it. I try not to eat after 6PM but it makes little difference. I sleep propped up but that doesn't help much either. No matter how much I try to prevent it, I wind up with acid creeping up my throat for several hours of each night. The doctors have said as soon as I have the baby it will likely disappear instantly, and that I am very much looking forward to!

The only other thing I can complain about is sleep. The last two weeks I have hit the point where getting comfortable is difficult and when I do lay in one position too long my legs and/or hands go numb. Combine that with the constant need to pee and I do not sleep for more than an hour at a time without waking and getting up. At first I tried to rationalize that it was just preparing me for when the baby comes, but even a brand new baby will give me 2-3 hours of sleep between feedings! I am so tired, it sounds completely crazy but I know I'll get more sleep once the baby is born than I am getting right now!

I went to the doctor yesterday for my 38 week visit and I was really hoping they would check my cervix to see if I was dilated or effaced at all. No luck with that. The doctor popped in and popped out and barely even caught my name. He wasn't very professional actually, normally they come in and introduce themselves and shake your hand, he did not. He listened to the heartbeat, didn't bother to wipe the lotion off my belly or give me a tissue to clean it up with and instead told me to rub that in as he noted in the heart rate in my chart, told me to come in at 40 weeks for an NST (non stress test) if I hadn't had the baby by then and said we could talk induction at 41 weeks. Then he left. I am just hopeful that I will go into labor on my own soon once Shelby and Colin arrive. I am not only anxious to meet baby, I want to be that much closer to going home to Cooper and my own home.

No comments:

Post a Comment