Sunday, January 9, 2011

Spring Tease


The weather so far this winter has been pretty wild. Last year we had a record breaking winter with low temps and snowfall amounts and everyone assured us it was an unusual winter for Germany. This year December started off pretty cold and then the snow started. We had more snow in just last month than we did probably all winter long last year! While I very much enjoy the beauty of the snow, I am not so much a fan of shoveling it at 5am or finding a car wash and waiting in line to clean all the salt and junk off my car. I've said all along it can snow all it wants to up until Shelby leaves and after that it needs to quit. Shelby deployed on Dec 28th and we got a dusting that day and not a single flake has fallen since. In fact, it has actually gotten HOT! Hot for January standards anyway. On Saturday we had sunshine and it got up to 55 degrees outside! I was almost too hot in pants and a t-shirt and contemplated changing into shorts.

Colin had a blast playing outside in the great spring-like weather. It was nice to see some green grass for a change and you could smell the earth. That good smell of dirt and grass and green things, I haven't smelled that in a while!

Colin missed the snow just a little bit. When we first went outside he found the last little patch of snow in the driveway and played in it for the longest time.

Then he realized that no more snow meant he could use his toys in the yard and he was happy to ride his tricycle and his scooter around.

After that we got out the bubbles and he was so excited about that. We must have blown bubbles for an hour! He would blow some and chase them around, then I would blow some and he would hunt them all down and pop them all.


The mild weather was a welcome change, making me anxious for warmer temperatures and spring time flowers and green. However, I'm afraid winter is just kicking off and if I remember correctly spring doesn't pop up until at least April around here. Someone I know mentioned that peace and calm during the eye of a hurricane and compared this little winter reprieve to that. Hmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment