Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Spring Break - Tues & Wed

Bike riding in the Alps

Well in typical German springtime fashion the weather changed just like that. After two days of beautiful warm, sunny weather, overnight rain came in and it got cooler. Tuesday morning we woke up and it was cooler, windy and drizzling most of the day. We didn't mind and headed out for a bike ride anyway. We wandered the walking/bike paths for what felt like miles and enjoyed the countryside. Colin visited with some sheep and horses in the fields and enjoyed riding and splashing in the abundant puddles. I quickly learned not to walk too close to him if I didn't want to be splashed...rain boots are a wonderful thing! Around lunch time we headed back to the hotel and apparently it was perfect timing. When we headed into the hotel it was just the drizzle it had been all morning, but by the time we made it back to our room it had turned into a decent rain shower. I'm so glad we made it back before we got totally soaked!

As if Tuesday's weather wasn't crazy enough, Wednesday morning we woke up to snow! The ground down here in the valley was not frozen, so nothing was really sticking, but you could see a good amount on all the mountains around. It flurried pretty much the entire day with random periods of heavier snow and then sunshine. Wednesday morning I was treated to a nice spa day courtesy of Shelby. He had called the hotel earlier in the week and made me a reservation for a facial and a massage and surprised me with the news. I arranged for a babysitter that morning and was very excited about my child-free relaxing morning. The facial was great but the massage was the best. I chose a hot stone massage, which I had never had before...awesome! I am hooked on those now! In between treatments I was able to enjoy a child free lunch too...had a delicious soup and salad without any little fingers poking at my food or having to remind a certain someone 200 times to "sit on your butt and eat!"

Wednesday afternoon Colin and I bundled up and headed out in the cold to play. We went to the playground for a while where Colin found some kids to play with. I love how he is so innocent and clueless as to what is going on. The kids, which ranged in age from 6-15 were playing tag and Colin had no clue at all what was happening but joined right in and ran and screamed with them as if he was part of the game. Thankfully the kids didn't mind him in the way and let him have his fun "playing" with them. Later on Colin and I kicked the ball around and played some games outside before coming back in to warm up. While we were outside the weather was so strange. It went from flurries, to sunshine, then flurries again, and then big, chunky flakes blowing and falling fast in a decent snow shower, and then ten minutes later the sun was out bright as could be. Not even ten minutes after that it was cloudy and flurrying again! After dinner Colin and I relaxed in the pool for a little while and hit the hot tub. We have been in the hot tub before, but always during the day. Last night we went in right as it had turned dark and Colin thought that was pretty cool. The hot tub is outside and since it was very cold there was lots of steam coming off the water and it was lit up underwater. He got so excited about it being dark outside. After the pool we got some ice cream and came back to the room to watch a movie. He didn't last but a few minutes before he fell asleep in my bed, while eating ice cream and watching the movie...I guess I successfully wore him out today!

No comments:

Post a Comment