Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pumpkin Farm Field Trip

Field trip to punpkin patch

Today Colin's preschool had a field trip to a family farm and pumpkin patch. I got to go along too and all the kiddos had a blast. Colin loved feeding the cows and petting the pigs. I think the highlight of the trip for him was the chickens. The kids got to chase them and they were able to pick them up. Most of the kids were afraid to pick them up, even the older kids. Not my kid. Once he saw that you could pick them up he was all over it. He had himself a chicken in no time. And another. And another. I had to run him out of the hen house more than once! It was really amusing to me considering that when we visit the zoo here in Kaiserslautern Colin is terrified of the chickens. Remember this? Well today his fear of chickens was nowhere to be found. After the chickens it was time to load up on the tractor for a ride down to the pumpkin field and pick our pumpkins. Our pumpkins were actually already picked for us, we just had to choose them from the big pile. It's been freezing here at night already, I'm talking 25 degrees when I wake up/ice on everything kind of cold. That makes pumpkins crumble and explode. So the farm owners had picked them all before the frost started about a week ago and has kept them safe so you can still go "pick" a pumpkin from the patch. So we chose our pumpkins and the headed back to the farm to load up and head home. Colin had a blast and when we got home we carved two smaller pumpkins I have had at the house for a few days.


We'll wait to do the real carving until Shelby is home. After carving I made us jack-o-lantern face grilled cheese and worm (chicken noodle) soup...Colin loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment