Sunday, February 26, 2012

Chew & Swallow


So, I have to eat my words this morning. For the last 11 years Shelby has been moving this box of junk treasured childhood toys all around the world and for the last 11 years I've been making fun of him for it. It's a box of old, dirty, half busted Transformers, Micro Machines, Ninja Turtles and other old boy toys from when he was a kid.

Over the last decade Shelby has insisted that one day our son will have fun with these toys. I have insisted our kid is not going to want to play with his busted up toys from 20+ years ago. We've agreed to disagree all this time.

So Colin is really into the Transformers movies right now and asks to watch them with Daddy all the time. So Shelby got his box of stuff out and started going through it this morning. Colin was far more excited than I thought he would be. He was dancing around the box saying "these toys for Colin?!" in his cute little innocent voice.

He sat patiently for a long time as Shelby pulled each toy out and brushed off the dust and dirt. Now Colin being excited doesn't mean a whole lot, considering the kid gets excited over a paper towel roll or a plastic bag if he thinks it's a toy for him. Despite the dirt the two of them had fun and Colin ate up the whole "Daddy's toys from when he was a little boy" thing. He kept saying over and over "These my Daddy's toys. My Daddy is a little boy just like me!" Daddy is pretty much the center of the universe in case you didn't know, Colin's whole world revolves around him. So Colin loved that the toys were from when Daddy was a little boy, just like him.


One good thing about this box of junk memories was Shelby also had lots of his baby teeth and some pulled adult teeth stored in an old film canister. Ewwww. I can't say a whole lot, I had my baby teeth in a cute little teeth container for several years and it's entirely possible they are still floating around here somewhere. I'm not sure if I finally tossed them in the last move or two or not. (Note to self, must toss baby teeth if discovered in packing process this time around.) BUT Shelby's teeth were full of silver fillings and were all beat up from being tossed around the box. So I took the opportunity to gross out my son and make it work to my advantage. I showed Colin the teeth and he didn't know what they were. I explained to him they were Daddy's teeth from when he was a little kid, and since he didn't brush them good twice a day, the sugar bugs got them and they all fell out and look how nasty they are. Colin was totally disgusted with this idea. So then I asked Colin if he was still going to fight and have a fit about brushing his teeth twice a day and his answer was no. We'll see if he remembers tonight when it comes time to brush before bed, hopefully it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment