Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Goetzman Report

Can you believe it is almost MARCH? Seriously, this is ridiculous. I know I've been a bad blogger lately, so here is the latest in the saga of our life.

I'm officially off of sub status and on payroll as of last Monday for Sure Start (the DoD school equivalent to Head Start in the States). Even though I've been doing this job since November, October maybe even, I've been a permanent sub in the position until the girl I took over for could resign and the slow HR office processed that and then publically advertised the job (even though they had no intention of hiring anyone else) and then officially offered me the job. Once I accepted it they took another two weeks to actually process me in their system and start paying me as a full time employee instead of a sub. I didn't mind in all honesty, the sad truth of it is I made more money as a sub than I do in my new position. Funny they call it a promotion, my paycheck seems to make it look more like I was demoted! LOL I love my job though. It takes a special kind of crazy to teach 18 four year olds all day!

Shelby has changed jobs too, kind of. He's moved from controlling traffic to an office and is in charge of the training program for air traffic at this base. The hours are supposed to be nice, but I've yet to see an 8-4 M-F work week. It's kind of dumb they even put him in the position, since he has to move in a couple months, but I've already told you the military's theory on things that make sense. He's been busy getting settled in and straightening up some of the loose ends that he came in to. Hopefully his hours start to cut back and be more "normal office hours" soon.

Our last glimmer of hope for getting to stay here in Germany was our humanitarian request that we submitted a few months ago. We had been anxiously waiting to hear the decision and finally got it just recently. Aaaaaaaaaannnnd...you guessed it, another no. Basically they said my infertility is not their problem and no we cannot stay here because of it. Jerks. We realize it isn't their problem, but the fact of the matter is we have spent thousands of Euro on fertility treatments here and we have a relationship and are still working with the doctor here. To leave would be a huge loss. Additionally it costs the military an obscene amount of money to move us to another continent and pay movers on both ends to pack up our cars and crap and ship it across the ocean. So it seems win win to just leave us alone here for a while longer. But that makes sense, which pretty much means there is no way in hell our government would even consider such an idea.

So now we prepare to move this summer. To an island! Wait, before you get all excited let me explain. It's a tiny little island in the Azores called Terceira, which is one of nine volcanic islands about 900 miles west of Lisbon, Portugual. The whole damn island is 12 miles by 20 miles! The weather is pretty moderate year round with temps in the 70's and constant wind. The water is also pretty cold, so while you get to VIEW the beach every day, GOING to the beach is a whole different story. We are excited for the opportunity and know it will be QUITE the adjustment from living here in the heart of Europe. The travel opportunities will be much more limited than we are used to, but we'll find stuff to do. Shelby can't wait to take Colin camping and fishing. I'm looking forward to whale and dolphin watching. I'm not looking forward to cleaning out the house. We have crap everywhere. Seriously, no three people should have this much crap. My house doesn't look like an episode of Hoarders or anything, but I'm kind of a packrat. An organized packrat though. I have this illogical fear of needing something I have gotten rid of after it's gone. Case in point, baby clothes. I sorted through so many 2T clothes today and I love them all. It literally PAINS me to put perfectly good name brand kid clothes in a yard sale pile. My head tells me it is ridiculous to hold on to a ton of clothing that no one will wear for at least 2-3 more years, and to move said clothing around the world with us waiting for someone to grow into it. But the cheap ass in me hates to part with it for fear I might need it later on (you know like in 3 years!) and have to pay for it again. LOL It sounds insane when I say it outloud, but you totally understand, right?

Speaking of baby clothes...we are back on that roller coaster. After our failed October cycle we had to wait until December to try again with our frozen embryos. December was no good because we were going to be on vacation when I needed to be getting embryos transferred, so we decided to wait until January. January turned out to not be so good either with Shelby going TDY to Biloxi for two weeks and stuff, so here we are in February. On the 17th I had two embryos transferred and hopefully one (or both) of them will take up residence. This one looked really good, multi cell, nice even size cells. It's the one we are hoping will get the job done.


This one was not so good and likely didn't survive too long once placed in my uterus. It was only 6 cells, and you can see the large variation in the size of the cells, which is not a good thing. The doctor said this one probably will not make it, but they transfer anyway because you never know what will happen, and it's against the German law to destroy an embryo.

I can go for a blood test this coming Friday (March 2nd) so please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. Should this round fail, we do still have two more frozen that we could transfer right away. Which is a good thing, but I'm hoping we don't have to use them until much later, like when it's time to start working on kid number three.

So that's pretty much the scoop on us at the moment. I've already pre-posted Wordless Wednesday for this week (it will show up right on time on Wed) so I promise I won't leave you hanging again this week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment