Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Deutschland meine Liebe

Germany in September

Shelby had a medical TDY coming up to go to Germany for a week for his back. I had resolved to just stay home since Colin was in school and had just started. Then I started thinking about Germany in the fall. And I started thinking about the shopping I needed to do for the baby that could be done there. And dreaming up all the food I could eat if I went. Then I found out two of my favorite festivals were going on while Shelby would be there. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. I couldn't do it. Exactly one week before he was supposed to leave I went online and booked tickets for Colin and I to tag along. I mean, the kid is not going to Harvard next year, a few days out of kindergarten won't kill him.

Our trip was awesome. Too short, but awesome. I got to see a few colors of fall, it was still early but a few leaves had begun to turn. I didn't realize how much I missed food! I ate, and thoroughly enjoyed, everything from Italian, to McDonald's to Taco Bell, to Greek and plenty of German. We didn't get to see everyone we would have liked to, but we were glad to meet up with those we were able to see. It was so hard going back, we love it there and I pray one day we can back there for good. It's always great to go back and get a taste of home, but at the same time it just makes you that much more homesick when it's time to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment