Monday, March 30, 2009

First time parent funny

Ok so we probably should not even admit to any of this, but it is kinda funny! Last night Colin was fussy fussy fussy! He's cutting one of his top front teeth so we thought that could be the problem. Also, he has been eating more solids and hadn't pooped all day either. So we weren't sure if he teeth hurt, his tummy, or a combination of the two...but something was wrong! He ate his 2:30 bottle just fine and then when it was time for squash at 5:30 he ate that too. After squash we gave him a bottle that he tried to suck on for a few minutes and then pushed away. We thought he wasn't hungry and tried giving it to him a couple more times and he'd play with it for a few minutes and then toss it aside.

So 8:30 rolls around and it's time for the bedtime bottle and we reheat the bottle he didn't eat earlier and give it to him. He sucks for a few minutes and tosses it aside crying. So I think ok he won't eat something is wrong. I rub his tummy and give him gas drops. We move his little legs like a bicycle and all he does is get madder and madder. So then I try giving him teething tablets and Tylenol and rocking him. Nothing. Crying crying crying. Ugh my poor baby! So I finally break down and decide if his tooth hurts so bad he can't eat if I can numb it he'll be happier. So I take a q-tip and put a little coconut rum on the tip and rub it around his tooth. He's interested for a minute and then its back to crying. We try the bottle again and nothing. So we rock him to sleep and finally about 9:30 he falls asleep. Whew!

Now I know that having not eaten since 2:30 in the afternoon he is never going to sleep all night and I sleep terribly wondering when he's going to wake up crying and we get to start this all over again. That little angel of mine slept right on through til 8am just like always! We get up and I feed him a bottle and his oatmeal and he inhales it all eating just fine. The 11:30 feeding comes and I fix him a bottle and again he eats just fine. So at 2:30 I get the bottle out of the fridge he had refused the night before heat it up and give it to him. He sucks on it for a few minutes and tosses it aside mad. So I wonder if I got the temperature right since it had come out of the fridge and put it in my mouth to test it. Nothing comes out. Hmmmm. So I try again, nothing comes out. Uh oh... So then I start inspecting the nipple and realize that a piece of the sponge off the tip of the bottle brush is clogging up the nipple hole and nothing can get through! All this time I am thinking Colin is in pain, has a tooth coming in and desperately needs to poop...I'm singing and dancing and even rubbing rum on the kids gums and the damn bottle was clogged! Oye. Lesson learned. CHECK THE BOTTLE NIPPLES if your kid won't eat! LOL.

1 comment:

  1. LOL The same thing happened to me a few months ago!! I was the same as you and thought of all these things that could be wrong with my poor baby. and tried everything I could to "fix" him... except rum. :)

    ReplyDelete