Sunday, April 11, 2010

Gardening Weekend

This weekend kicked off my spring break. I worked late Thursday and got the last of my school work done and submitted. All I have to do now is countdown the 10 days I have left of student teaching and wait for my diploma to arrive in the mail! I can't believe it's almost over. I had Friday off and the first thing I did was sleep in! Shelby worked a mid so he slept for a few hours in the morning when he got home and after he got up we headed to the store for plants. One of the big projects on my spring break to do list was to get the vegetable garden planted, the yard cleaned up some and the flower gardens cleaned out and planted. Friday I planted the new flowers I bought, along with some seeds and bulbs. We cleaned about half the weeds out of the big flower garden in the back yard and planted some gardenia bushes in the front yard. After that we planted the vegetable seeds in the garden, staked all the rows and covered the area between the rows with straw. Saturday we did some more weeding in the big flower bed in the backyard and mulched it, cleared an area in the back for grapes, pumpkins and gourds and planted those too. Believe it or not I did not take any pictures of the work we did, but Shelby did snap a few today. He was hoping the sun would come out today so he could go get better shots, but for now this is all we got...
Garden - Planted


Today the weather was cooler and cloudy so we didn't do any gardening. An old friend Shelby worked with in Tucson was passing through Ramstein on his way downrange so we met him for lunch and caught up. Of course when we got close to the planes on base Colin went nuts


Since I am home for spring break I decided it's finally time to kick the bottle habit with Colin. Once he hit 12 months I started giving him a bottle only at nap and bed time and it's been that way ever since. He was not really attached to the his bottle and I was never worried about weaning him off of it. I almost decided to give it up about 2-3 months ago and changed my mind. I knew it was a good time because he wasn't attached and when I ran out of formula for a day or two he didn't even care that he didn't get a bottle. Then he got diarrhea from teething and I was worried about him not eating right and dehydrating so I started back on the bottle thinking I would just do it until the teething runs were gone. And here we are...lol. In the last month he has really taken a liking to his "buh-buh" and happily runs to his crib and climbs to get in when he sees the bottle in my hand. Nap time today never did happen, he cried and threw a fit for a while, then gave up and sang in there to himself for over an hour. He played for a long time before starting to cry again for me to come get him, since it was getting late I didn't want him to nap then anyway for fear it might ruin bedtime. So come bedtime I knew he was tired because he didn't nap. We got his PJs on, read a story and I sat him in his crib, he looked around and saw there was no bottle in there waiting for him and he wailed. Poor guy. He was MAD. It took him about 15 minutes of screaming before he wore out and went down. I feel so bad. I know he can't be 4 and still have a bottle at night, but is it really so bad for him to have one now? At four I can explain to him why he can't have one, at this age he just looks at me like I'm torturing him and he's totally confused about why all of a sudden Momma fails to provide one of life's little pleasures. Hopefully it gets easier each day, I feel so bad for the little guy. Here he is this weekend after making a mess with his drink and meal and being dirty as can be...

No comments:

Post a Comment