Thursday, August 4, 2011

Vacation Day 4: Drive from Berlin to Praha

Prague


We didn’t bring a stroller because he hates to ride in them and ours is pretty big and bulky anyway. After two days of keeping him close by and Shelby carrying him on his shoulders when he got tired we decided we would have to purchase a stroller. First stop (after Starbucks of course) on the way out of Berlin was at Toys R Us to get a good, lightweight, travel stroller and Colin was just going to have to learn to like it. The rest of the day we drove to Prague and got settled in our hotel. Czech Republic was frustrating and reminded me of when we first moved to Germany. When in Korea it never really bothered me that I couldn’t read anything because the letters/characters were totally foreign to me and made no sense. When we got to Germany it drove me nuts that I could not read the signs because they were all the same letters in the English alphabet, so they LOOKED like they should spell something, but the words had no meaning to me. Frustrating, I eventually learned German and to read the signs and got over it. Being in Czech brought back the frustration as the letters are the same, but they make absolutely no sense at all. Our hotel was very helpful in making us reservations at a traditional Czech restaurant for dinner that included music. Dinner at Koliba was awesome! Inside was all dark wood and there were wooden carved stools with sheep skin blankets on them. In the middle of the room was a big coal grill where meat was cooked (it was hot as hell in there!) and there was a three man band playing traditional Czech music. Our waitress spoke English and when I ordered wine she asked me if I wanted a half liter or a liter! When our drinks came out they were served with some excellent bread and also a shot of cinnamon schnapps for both Shelby and I. Ick, but when in Rome Praha…. It was nice because the place was full of tourists and everyone was taking pictures of everything so I didn’t feel dumb photographing the band or the man cooking the meat and stuff. There was a large group of Chinese people visiting from Hong Kong for a convention and they were very nice and in love with Colin. In Korea Colin was very popular with his light hair and blue eyes, and apparently the Chinese are just as interested. The lady was taking pictures of him and telling us how handsome he was while Colin was hamming it up for her and telling her all about himself. “Name Colin, I three (holding up three fingers), I live Germany!” LOL We didn’t order anything besides drinks, all the rest was a preset menu thing as part of the deal we paid for when the hotel made our reservation. So it was a surprise to see what showed up at the table for us to eat. First came an appetizer that could have been a meal it was so big. It was two pieces of white bread toast with some kind of goulash on top. It had ground meat of some kind in it and I later decided it was probably deer because I saw a lot of deer goulash on the menu at traditional restaurants. It was topped with melted cheese and it was delicious. The main course came out as a mass of food all piled on a big wooden cutting board thing. There were grilled beef steaks, roasted ribs, grilled pork chunks, some eggplant stuff, potato fries, veggies and I forget what all else piled on. It was so big it caught the eye of the Chinese people near us who were also taking pictures of our food and asking how many people that was supposed to be for, lol. Everything I tried was excellent, though I’m still partial to Shelby’s BBQ ribs…they are definitely better. Dessert was a chocolate layered torte kind of thing, very good. I’m glad we found that place, lots of fun and good food.

No comments:

Post a Comment