Friday, June 22, 2012

Homeless No More!

Well today we signed for the keys to our house, so we are officially not homeless anymore, woohoo! We got more good news too, remember the bed fiasco from Wednesday? Well apparently they had a cancellation for today and they had a slot open up and were able to deliver beds to the house this morning. So not only did we get the keys to the new house, but we also don't have to sleep on air mattresses all next week. We also lucked up on the delivery of our unaccompanied baggage and they were able to bring it by this afternoon right after we had accepted our house. So now we have our bikes, a grill, our camping gear (which has grill tools, some dishes and some supplies in it, that is why we sent that tote), a space saver bag with sheets, towels and linens in it, and of course the most important appliance in the kitchen, the coffee pot! Tomorrow morning we'll check out of the hotel and start living in the house. We went looking at some cars but nothing jumped out at us. I'm a Florida girl and I can drive a stick, but I learned to drive it in flat, level, Florida. Here an automatic transmission is almost as mythical as the unicorn, and since I didn't ship an American car here I'm pretty much not going to get an automatic. This stresses me out greatly because the hills here are ridiculous. You are never, ever driving on flat ground...you are always going up or coming down. I just know I'm going to have to stop halfway up some giant hill and my car will go rolling backwards into the ocean. That is if I don't crash into anyone behind me first! At least I've got accident forgiveness! LOL Colin enjoyed some much needed play time at a little indoor play area this afternoon. Yesterday we went to sign him up for swim lessons but of course the classes were already full. He kept asking when he was going to swim school and we keep telling him maybe in August. Then I went to enroll him in the base daycare (CDC) and he got to see his new preschool, he can't wait to go there and play with the kids. He must have asked a dozen times this morning when he woke up if he could go to preschool today. I feel so bad for him, I'm hoping once we get to the house he'll meet little neighborhood friends. I'm not holding my breath though, the base housing seems DEAD. It's like all the wives and kids packed up and went to the States for the summer while the kids are out of school. You hardly see any kids at the playgrounds or outside during the day right now. Hopefully we meet some good playmates soon! This evening when we got back to the hotel there were two boys about his age on the playground and he joined them for a while and had a blast. He was proud of himself for hanging here and asked me to take this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment