Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Sometimes all you can do is laugh...

Today we woke up to sunshine. Even better than the sunshine was very little wind! Today was an absolutely gorgeous and perfect day. It gave me a little more faith in this place and I sincerely hope today's weather is more the norm and this nastiness we've been having is some kind of freak occurrence. Anyway, beautiful day so Colin and I went to the big playground on base and it was packed with kids. He had a blast and I got to meet some people. We discovered that young kids actually DO live in our neighborhood, including two little boys who live just up the street. Whew! The parks in our housing area have been so dead I was beginning to thing there were no children at all! After the park we walked around to a couple places (we gave the loaner car back to it's rightful owner yesterday)and then headed home to meet the cable installation people. INTERNET AT THE HOUSE NOW! Happy dance!! With the internet now working at home Shelby was able to restore and repair the used iphone I bought yesterday and get it working, I was getting worried I was going to have to return it to the guy and get my money back because it wouldn't do a thing for me once he dumped all his data. I was so relieved when it finally worked. Yay! I spent a lot of time mulling over some career options today. Yesterday I went by the DOD school on base to inquire about vacant teaching positions. I learned that as of now there are no classroom teacher vacancies (which is not a huge shock) but that there are kindergarten aide and sure start aide slots available. So I could definitely work full time, but not as a teacher, right now. The school is so small compared to my last school, it only has about 300 kids in grades PreK-12! If we were going to be here for a while I'd take the job as a stepping stone to a teaching position, but given I am only here for one more school year by the time I got my foot in the door it would be time to close it and move again. So, I've been considering graduate school. I really, really don't want to fork out another 15K in tuition and fees. But, when I do land a classroom position I'd make a lot more money with a masters. I'd have just enough time to do it here and not have to worry about missing work or trying to get it while working later on. It seems like a good idea, but I am not sure if I can deal with staying away. The good thing about it is I would have several practicum hours and observation hours that need to be done at the school, so I would still have to be involved at the school and with the kids even if I wasn't working there. Which is good because honestly I don't think I could stay away completely. I love my job. I have some time to think about it since school doesn't start until the very end of August (both work school and graduate school)so I'm trying to make sure I don't just have a crazy bug up my butt or something. We finally met the neighbor tonight. We moved in on Saturday and they had flown to another island for a long weekend and just got back home today. She seems very nice, they have two dogs which Colin thinks is the coolest thing ever. So do I actually, now I can let him play with their dogs and never have to get one of our own. Win win! They have two little girls, one Colin's age and one just a year or two older. I went upstairs to get Colin's bath ready and I kept calling him and calling him and he wasn't coming upstairs. I came downstairs to find him and discovered that he wasn't coming because he and Shelby were outside meeting/talking to the new neighbors. I popped outside too...and completely forgot about the running bath water. For, oh, say, 20 minutes or more. Shit. Apparently the overflow drain on the tub doesn't work either. Double shit. I successfully flooded three of the five rooms upstairs. And we have 5 towels in the entire house since our household goods are not here yet. I was pulling every scrap of absorbent anything out of every drawer and closet to throw on the floor. Thank goodness for the spin cycle! LOL At least my upstairs floor is really, really clean now. Ugh. Aside from that little incident it was a really good day! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment