Monday, July 27, 2015

Growing up

Today Colin had a dental appointment that took up our morning. It was a routine cleaning that I have been waiting for. He fights brushing his teeth all the time and we constantly remind him what a filling is and what will happen if he doesn't brush his teeth well. I go in and brush for him once or twice a week to get them good and clean, but he is a very lazy brusher when we have made it beyond easy for him. He has a kids sonicare, which he has been told time and time again he must TURN ON when using, AND to brush with the beeps and not finish until the long beep at the end. He still frequently gets caught with the toothbrush not even turned on while in his mouth. Then he has mouthwash that he may as well just pour down the drain because the 2.5 seconds it is actually inside his mouth probably does no good at all. So I was very curious to see if he was going to skate by with another clean check up or if a cavity had popped up. Well much to Colin's dismay he has not one, but THREE small cavities in the back. Thankfully they are in baby teeth that will eventually fall out, but I so hope this has helped him learn his lesson. He doesn't get them filled until the end of August, so I don't expect his attitude towards brushing will improve much until he actually experiences the filling process. He is terrified of shots, so one look at the Novocaine needle and it's entirely possible the whole building will think someone is being murdered. I've requested Shelby take the day off, because I can't handle that kind of humiliation on my own.

After his dentist visit I took him to get some new play shoes. His old play shoes have holes straight through the bottom from him dragging his feet on his scooter. Mean mom that I am I have made him wear the holy play shoes for a good long while despite his complaints. I am still making him wear the shoes with the holes when he rides his scooter, he can't drag his feet on it with holes in his soles so it helps teach him not to do it. But he did need a pair of respectable play shoes for wearing to the youth center and out to play when scooters are not involved. He has been begging me for Jordans. When did this kid grow up and why does he even know about shoe fashion? I took him to Foot Locker and showed him the price tag on Jordan shoes ($80+) and explained those are clearly not play shoes. Then we went to Ross and I gave him a $20 limit. He chose a pair of Sketchers basketball shoes that he was so excited over he could hardly stand himself. Oh dear Lord it has started! I am not ready for him to not want me dressing him and him being so concerned with what he is wearing. Here he is with his (hideous) new shoes...


No comments:

Post a Comment